[Glass] Another metacello loading puzzle: xml

Dale Henrichs via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Sun Jan 14 17:55:32 PST 2018

On 1/9/18 4:02 AM, Iwan Vosloo via Glass wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> On 1/8/18 6:35 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
> > Just a small comment from the outside: that problem seems to be
> > known:
> http://forum.world.st/DataStream-dnu-writeWordLike-td4953239.html
> > Maybe Iwan can check if he has instances of QuadByteString too...
> > that might be the reason...
>
> On 08/01/2018 16:24, Dale Henrichs via Glass wrote:
>> Getting rid of the QuadByteStrings in the mcz file is one solution the
> > other solution is to save the package in Filetree format, since
> > Filetree uses utf8.
>

> Thanks Mariano and Dale,
>
> Yes, I eventually discovered the QuadByteString issue... I tried using
> filetree initially, but given the code that's there (that WonkaLoader
> thing) it is not straightforward to use filetree (I suspect because it
> uses FileTree to fetch FileTree as well, there may be a
> chicken-and-egg scenario going on...but I did not investigate).
>
> Instead I figured the QuadByteString issue must be a bug, since
> writeWordLike: is being called from code present in Gemstone, yet it
> is not implemented in Gemstone.
>
> I provided an implementation (should I log a bug somewhere?), and
> using that it actually loads using our scripts. Which is nice because
> it gives me a starting point of sorts from where I can refactor and
> simplify.
This is not a correct solution ... the byte patterns differ between
WideString and QuadByteString ... if it is working it is likely to be
luck ... or the corruption is only showing up in a comment ... or the
code compiles without error, but will fail when run ... really the only
solution in your case is to "edit the Monticello .mcz file" and remove
your patch ... it is much safer to have the load fail than debug the
potential downstream problems...

To edit a Monticello .mcz file with WideStrings, you should load the mcz
file into a pharo (or squeak) image ... from there your best bet would
seem to be to inspect the package structure and get the snapshot
definitions and find look for MCMethodDefinitions whose #source is a
kind of WideString also look for a class definition #comment that might
contain a WideString ... if you find a comment or method with a
WideString, then edit the method(s) and comment(s) to eliminate the
WideString character(s) save a new version of the .mcz file and then
edit the appropriate ConfigurationOf to point to the new .mcz version
and try the load again ...

If you are still getting an error or you didn't find any methods or
comments with WideStrings, then it is likely that a commit comment in
the .mcz contains the offending character (and there may be more than
one comment with the problem) or the problem might be another of the
fields ... all it takes is one WideString to spoil the entire package.

Here's some sample code:

| basePackageName wc comments methods versions badDefs |
basePackageName := 'Metacello-Base'.
wc := MCWorkingCopy allManagers detect: [:each | each packageName =
basePackageName].
comments := OrderedCollection new..
methods := OrderedCollection new.
wc snapshot definitions do: [:def |
     def isClassDefinition
         ifTrue: [ (def comment isKindOf: WideString) ifTrue: [ comments
add: def]].
     def isMethodDefinition
         ifTrue: [ (def source isKindOf: WideString) ifTrue: [ comments
add: def]]].
badDefs := OrderedCollection new.
comments isEmpty ifFalse: [ badDefs add: comments ].
methods isEmpty ifFalse: [ badDefs add: methods ].
badDefs isEmpty ifFalse: [ ^ badDefs ].
"now scan wc ancestry for WideStrings"
versions := OrderedCollection new.
wc ancestry allAncestorsDo: [:aMCVersionInfo |
     (aMCVersionInfo message isKindOf: WideString) ifTrue: [ versions
add: aMCVersionInfo ] ].
versions

> Of course there's strong incentive to just leave it at that from the
> people who have to pay the $$ for this... But I would have liked to be
> able to load it all (via/not via network) using only what is provided
> by GsUpgrader and Metacello without all the various things in our
> WonkaLoader class....
Yeah the FinWorks WonkaLoader likely predates Metacello let alone
GsUpgrader and GsDevKit_home...

> It is painful to have to get all the right branches of all the right
> projects from all the right github repositories locally just to be
> able to load...
Hmmm, it seems that there is some pain associated with the current
scheme and once you do clone the projects and get them to the right
version then you will be able to load without network access all of the
time and when it is a good time for you to update the version of a
project you are using, you can do it on your own schedule when you are
prepared for the porting effort ...

A quick scan o f the http: projects that you are using several different
http: repositories ... Other than Seaside which turns into a github
download for GemStone anyway and Metacello (which doesn't need http:
access if you use bootstrapGsDevKit[2]) , the other http: repositories
I've identified are:

   http://seaside.gemtalksystems.com/ss/hyper
   http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/hernan/XMLPullParser/main
   http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/PharoExtras/XMLParser/main
http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/PharoExtras/OrderPreservingDictionary/main
   http://www.smalltalkhub.com/mc/PharoExtras/BitmapCharacterSet/main
   http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Swazoo/Swazoo/main
   http://seaside.gemtalksystems.com/ss/swazoo2

hyper also uses a local clone for bootstrapGsDevKit[2], but the others
have not been moved to Github yet ... are you using Swazoo for your web
server? If not then you are down to only 4 different projects based on
http: and I'm thinking that the XML projects need to move to GitHub soon
and have already heard from Monty that he would be willing to do that
... The other two OrderPreservingDictionary and  BitmapCharacterSet
presumably aren't changing that frequently to become difficult to manage
as a git clone ....

  As for the github: projects that aren't already covered by
bootstrapGsDevKit[2] it seems that only SeasideSt/Seaside is being used ...

I don't know, but from where I am sitting, it would be easier to manage
git repositories than try to figure out why your scripts aren't working:)

Oh well...

[1]
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/finworks/BaselineOfWonkaRuntime/master/logs/transcript.2018-01-01.log
[2]
https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home/blob/issue_200/bin/bootstrapGsDevKit

> being able to fetch the correct dependencies at their correct
> versions, from wherever, recursively is exactly the point of using
> metacello in the first place. Having to manage that ourselves defeats
> the point of using Metacello in the first place..
> (Besides, many of our dependencies are just Monticello packages anyways)
Things are not quite that simple ... and I would say that if you
downloading individual package versions, then I would claim that a git
pull is much simpler than hand editting ConfigurationOf files to change
the version of the package you are using ...

If you are not specifically managing the versions of packages and
projects (i.e., not hand editing ConfigurationOf files) then you are at
the mercy of the project developers as to which version of the project
you pick up when you update and have no control (other than hand
editting ConfigurationOf files) over which version you are actually
using in your product ...

I would argue that with git clones you know exactly which version of
each of the projects you are using ... and you are in complete control
over when you want to use a new version ...

With all of the said, you are working with a legacy production loading
scheme and if you are going to pay the price of converting the load
system, I would recommend that you wait until GemStone 3.5 (planned, not
committed) comes out with Rowan support ... at which time package
kernel and be supported by GemTalk Systems instead of on community
support, while still maintaining open source status for those tools...

> If you want to play along, my answers to Dale:
>

> On 08/01/2018 16:24, Dale Henrichs via Glass wrote:
> > I highly recommend to the bootstrapGsDevKit approach, but if you don't
> > want to take that route, then you should try splitting your load into
> > two phases 1) fetch and load GLASS 2) fetch and load your application.
>
> That is actually exactly what our code does. When you call WonkaLoader
> class >> loadWonkaRuntimeGroup:fromWonkaRoot:platform:overNetwork:
> (see the call in topaz/makeCIImage.topaz [1] ):
>  - it first updates/loads GsUpgrader, FileTree, Metacello, Grease,
> GLASS1 (in that order, from locally cloned git repositories); and
>  - then it loads group 'CI' of BaselineOfWonkaRuntime from
> wonkaRoot/monticello repository (this is where our own code sits).
Okay that makes sense, but I can't tell that from the loading Transcript
... dumping into the Transcript the steps that are performed by Wonka
(and the Metacello or other load expression used) would help me
understand where the transitions are rather than trying to interpret
things from a pure Metacello log ...

> But, all the loading that takes place - whether loading a "bootstrap
> dependency" (the GLASS/Metacello stuff) or any other package to load -
> is done in the same method: WonkaLoader>>loadGroup [2], using the same
> code to create a Metacello [3] and [4].
Okay ... skipping ahead a bit I don't see a Smalltalk stack and without
the wonka loader markers in the new log[3], I don't really know when or
what happened so save reading the various code snippets until I can get
my hands on a stack ...

[3]
https://github.com/finworks/BaselineOfWonkaRuntime/commit/6316b77d63189f5c47407403d6a9f7f1e37f048e

> In the first phase, (loading bootstrap dependencies), it sets up a new
> Monticello independently for each of those "bootstrap" projects in
> turn, on their own (cloned github) repository. ( See
> BaselineOfWOnkaRuntime class >>
> loadBootstrapBaseline:repository:modes: [5] )
>
> In the second phase, it uses the same underlying method to set up a
> new Metacello on our own repository.
>
> What is shared in all of the above is how conflicts etc are handled;
> and the given repositoryOverrides are always ignored if you do it
> overNetwork. Further, if you DO load overNetwork, it sets the
> cacheRepository, and always to the same platform-dependent location
> (which we check into our git repo).
>

> What I understand our not-so-pretty code does in short (ignoring
> handling of conflicts etc) is:
>
> Metacello new
>   baseline: xxx;
>   repository: aLocalGitClone;
>   cacheRepository: yyy;
>   get.
>
> Metacello new
>   baseline: xxx;
>   repository: aLocalGitClone;
>   cacheRepository: yyy;
>   load: 'default'.
>
> For all of: GsUpgrader, FileTree, Metacello, Grease, GLASS1 (in that
> order)
>
> Then it does:
>
> Metacello new
>   baseline: xxx;
>   repository: ourOwnFileTreeRepo;
>   cacheRepository: yyy;
>   get.
>
> Metacello new
>   baseline: xxx;
>   repository: ourOwnFileTreeRepo;
>   cacheRepository: yyy;
>   load: 'CI'.
>

> Either way, this example (working, if done using all the complications
> in our scripts) contradicts the documentation [6] if my reasoning is
> correct.
I guess I'm confused right now ... the log new log does not look like
"working" to me as there is an error at the very end and I have not seen
a stack ...

> I have hastily put a version of the above (without any WonkaLoader
> stuff) in topaz/makeCIImageUsingStandardTools.topaz [7] on github,
> with its transcript in logs/transcript.2018-01-09.log  but have not
> applied my mind to that yet. Obviously this naive version still fails.
it's not obvious to me and without a stack I guess I cannot comment with
any authority.

If the load process is actually working, then I'm not exactly sure why I
spent an hour or so on my weekend answering this email message only to
find out that you are apparently saying "never mind at the end" ...

Dale....