[Glass] Another metacello loading puzzle: xml

Iwan Vosloo via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Mon Jan 15 03:11:21 PST 2018

Hi Dale,

>> Either way, this example (working, if done using all the
>> complications in our scripts) contradicts the documentation [6] if my
>> reasoning is correct.
> I guess I'm confused right now ... the log new log does not look like
> "working" to me as there is an error at the very end and I have not
> seen a stack ...
[...]
> If the load process is actually working, then I'm not exactly sure why
> I spent an hour or so on my weekend answering this email message only
> to find out that you are apparently saying "never mind at the end" ...

Sorry, no, that's not what I meant, I did not express it clearly. (And I
do appreciate your help!)

What is working is: using the WonkaLoader, ie, in that code, running
./bootstrap_image.sh -n (a)

The way I understand WonkaLoader code is that *in principle* it does do
a version of my "almost-pseudocode" below (b), except (a) adds ways to
deal with conflicts and a bunch of other stuff.  (And, in (b) I am
trying to use a filetree repo)

>> Metacello new
>>   baseline: xxx;
>>   repository: aLocalGitClone;
>>   cacheRepository: yyy;
>>   get.
>>
>> Metacello new
>>   baseline: xxx;
>>   repository: aLocalGitClone;
>>   cacheRepository: yyy;
>>   load: 'default'.
>>
>> For all of: GsUpgrader, FileTree, Metacello, Grease, GLASS1 (in that
>> order)
>>
>> Then it does:
>>
>> Metacello new
>>   baseline: xxx;
>>   repository: ourOwnFileTreeRepo;
>>   cacheRepository: yyy;
>>   get.
>>
>> Metacello new
>>   baseline: xxx;
>>   repository: ourOwnFileTreeRepo;
>>   cacheRepository: yyy;
>>   load: 'CI'.

My reasoning is that, if (a) works, and I understand that it really does
(b) with some complications added, I should be able to do (b).

But just doing (b) straight up does not work (that's the log you saw)
and I have not exposed its breakage for you properly last week - I ran
out of time. I am busy delving deeper into it today and will report what
I manage to get going.

About the WideString issue and missing  writeWordLike: you say:
> This is not a correct solution ... the byte patterns differ between  > WideString and QuadByteString ... if it is working it is likely to be
 > luck ... or the corruption is only showing up in a comment ... or the
 > code compiles without error, but will fail when run ... really the
only > solution in your case is to "edit the Monticello .mcz file" and
remove > your patch ... it is much safer to have the load fail than
debug the > potential downstream problems...

I understand, I did not try to build a proper solution - I just copied a
Pharo implementation over to see what happens. Point is: is it not
possible to provide a proper implementation for writeWordLike: (since
there is code in GS that calls it)?

This also means that whatever I *think* is working using our existing
stuff might be breaking in weird ways, so I have to actually go back and
sort this out better.

> Here's some sample code:
(thanks)

> ... are you using Swazoo for your web server?

I think I can ditch Swazoo, it apparently used to be used in some
scenarios, but if I hit those I'll switch them to zinc.

>> being able to fetch the correct dependencies at their correct
>> versions, from wherever, recursively is exactly the point of using
>> metacello in the first place. Having to manage that ourselves defeats
>> the point of using Metacello in the first place..
>> (Besides, many of our dependencies are just Monticello packages anyways)
> Things are not quite that simple ... and I would say that if you
> downloading individual package versions, then I would claim that a git
> pull is much simpler than hand editting ConfigurationOf files to change
> the version of the package you are using ...
>
> If you are not specifically managing the versions of packages and
> projects (i.e., not hand editing ConfigurationOf files) then you are at
> the mercy of the project developers as to which version of the project
> you pick up when you update and have no control (other than hand
> editting ConfigurationOf files) over which version you are actually
> using in your product ...
>
> I would argue that with git clones you know exactly which version of
> each of the projects you are using ... and you are in complete control
> over when you want to use a new version ...

I understand your motivation for git clones. I suspect there's stuff I
do not understand about "being at the mercy of project developers".  I
am also just used to similar tools in other ecosystems that do not rely
on me having to clone git repos (apt, npm, maven, pip) - these do the
recursive fetch (although some also have issues regarding conflicting
dependencies). My "being used to" these tools, and from Metacello docs I
thought this is what Metacello does too.

What do you mean by hand-editing ConfigurationOf files? Do you mean
editing our own, which includes project versions? If we are specific in
that, won't we always pick up the same version files? Isn't this just
like changing the debian/rules of your own deb package source?

> With all of the said, you are working with a legacy production loading
> scheme and if you are going to pay the price of converting the load
> system, I would recommend that you wait until GemStone 3.5 (planned, not
> committed) comes out with Rowan support ... at which time package
> kernel and be supported by GemTalk Systems instead of on community
> support, while still maintaining open source status for those tools...

Thanks, I hear you. I am trying to understand the tools and my options
at the moment, so this certainly is one option to keep in mind.

Regarding the rest of your comments: I am working on this today again. I
am hoping to delve deeper into it and will check in better logs and
report back...

Thank you
-Iwan