[Glass] Gemstone and Pharo aligment

Dale Henrichs via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Tue Nov 20 17:03:17 PST 2018

I would have hoped that some of the folks doing develop in Pharo deploy
in GemStone would have answered this question ... as there are several
ways to approach this ...

 1. add includesAll: to Pharo7.0 to a 'Gemstone-Compat' package that you
    maintain and load into your pharo image
 2. add includesAllOf: to a 'Pharo70-Compat' package that you maintain
    and load into gemstone

There is the PharoCompatibility project[1] that has a number of
pharo-specific messages and classes, but it hasn't been updated for
several years, so it doesn't have any Pharo7.0 support. The
PharoCompatibility project is included as part of the GsDevKit_home
checkout, but it isn't loaded by default ... but it should show up in
your project list and you only need to load it to get it loaded ...

I assume that the folks doing develop in Pharo deploy in GemStone are
using one of the first two techniques ... over the years Pharo has
deprecated a lot of methods and classes so a generic solution is
probably too much to ask, so keeping a package of your very own with the
needed methods and classes is probably not a bad way to go ...

Dale

[1] https://github.com/glassdb/PharoCompatibility