[Glass] External Sessions issues

James Foster Smalltalk at JGFoster.net
Sun Jan 13 06:42:42 PST 2019

Hi Dario,

> On Jan 11, 2019, at 8:21 AM, Trussardi Dario Romano via Glass <glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com> wrote:
>
> Ciao,
>
> 	i do som test about External Sessions support between two	 Gemstone 3.4.3. 	system.
>
> 	Some points:
>
> 		A) The remote system ( presolana )need to have the same	 logs directory path  ( /opt/GsDKb/GsDevKit_home/server/stones/base_343/logs ) 	of the request.
>

> 			Otherwise the remote	 netldi.log	report the entry:
>
> 			For client command: '!#encrypted:party#netldi:39357#dir:/opt/GsDKb/GsDevKit_home/server/stones/base_343/logs#log:%N%P.log!gemnetobject'
>     			chdir(/opt/GsDKb/GsDevKit_home/server/stones/base_343/logs) failed in child process
>   			  ERROR: errno=2,ENOENT, The file or directory specified cannot be found

I’m not immediately able to reproduce this but it looks below like you have worked around the problem.

> 		B) 	When create  the GsExternalSession  with the Network Resource String:		gemNRS: '!@25.58.122.207#netldi:41953!gemnetobject'
>
> 				 UserGlobals at: #Sample put:
>     					( GsExternalSession
>     gemNRS: '!@25.58.122.207#netldi:41953!gemnetobject'
>     stoneNRS: '!@25.58.122.207!base_343'
>     username: 'DataCurator'
>     password: 'swordfish'
>     yourself).
>
> the system report the error:
>
> 	a MessageNotUnderstood occurred (error 2010), a String does not understand  #'node' (3)

You are right, this is an error and I’ve reported it as internal bug #47868. It appears by the fact that you got further than you found the workaround, using an instance of GsNetworkResourceString.

> 		C) 	I login aGsExternalSession on remote system	and all works fine.
>
> 			But when i do the aGsExternalSession logout
>
> 			the system is blocked for 20 seconds and after open a dialog:
>
> 				UserDefinedError: session with stone session ID of 6 gemProcessId = 3115 still present 20 seconds after logout (3)

This is a known bug (internal #47663). The work-around is to use different stone names.

> 		D) The exception it is not accessible, or at least it is not clear how to do it.
>
> 			| result |
> 	result := [myGsExternalSession executeString: '1/0']
> 				on: GciError
> 				do: [:ex | ex description].
>
> 			open a dialog with : 	ArgumentError: NullPointer error, CByteArray.CData == 0 (3)

When I try your example with two Jade sessions on the same GS 3.4.3 stone it returns a string describing the stack. What IDE are you using? What sort of dialog does it open? Can you provide a screen shot?