[Glass] MacOS 10.15 (Catalina)

Dale Henrichs dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com
Thu Oct 10 19:12:48 PDT 2019

Hi Jupiter,

Not great news, as I've not found the time to replace the Pharo3.0 bits
of GsDevKit_home...

I _have_ been making progress on st_launcher[1] which makes use topaz
solo extents for running Smalltalk scripts in GemStone ... so it is
getting close to being technically feasible to replace the
devKitCommandLine Pharo32 functionality with 64bit GemStone scripts ...

As I think about it, the st_launcher topaz solo extent includes a
FileSystem port for GemStone and that is one of the key components in
the devKitCommandLine image, so it might not be as big a job to build a
topaz solo as I originally thought ...

Of course, I am pretty busy with Rowan work got 3.6.0, so I can't just
drop everything to work on GsDevKit_home.

I'm curious what kind of timelines you are looking at for needing to run
on Catalina?

I'm also curious if you (or anyone else for that matter) has some time
to work on the port of the devKitCommandLine support from Pharo 3.0 to
GemStone 3.5.0 ... I would be able to supply a 3.5.0 tode image with
Rowan/FileSystem support installed that could be used for porting work.
Once the port is done, I would be able to create the replacement
devKitCommandLine st_launcher script that would use the ported
devKitCommandLine code and st_launcher to replace the Pharo 3.0 image ...

tODE is another matter, but it can be "solved" by using a linux vm
running on the mac and connecting "remotely" to a stone running on the
mac...

So replacing the devKitCommandLine Pharo image is the critical component
of GsDevKit_home that needs replacing ...

Dale

[1] https://github.com/dalehenrich/st_launcher