[Glass] Why JadeServer64bit34 is not available for browsing inside a Gem

Dale Henrichs dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com
Tue Oct 22 13:23:17 PDT 2019

On 10/22/19 7:33 AM, BrunoBB via Glass wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Using Jade i was tracking inside Dolphin aGciSession serverPerform:
> #allSessions.
>
> After a little browsing i found object that implement #allSessions
> (aJadeServer64bit34).
>
> But JadeServer64bit34 is not available for browsing. Actually all subclasses
> of JadeServer can NOT be browsed.

This is a feature of Jade ... at login, Jade creates all of the classes
in the JaderServer hierarchy and arranges for them to be installed in a
SystemDictionary that is not in any SymbolList ... so the classes are
hidden by design ...

If you want to browse the JadeServer classes I believe that there is a
way to arrange for the JadeServer class hierarchy to be installed in a
user's UserGlobals so that you can browse the code and/or use Jade as a
user that does not have permissions to compile methods ... Since you
also do Jade development in Dolphin, you could a) read/browse the code
that is used to create the classes in the Dolphin browser (I believe
that a parallel class hierarchy of JadeServer classes is present in the
Dolphin environment) or b) arrange to install the JadeServer symbol
dictionary in the user's symbol list at login ...

> But it is possible to debug execution of aJadeServer64bit34 methods like
> #allSessions.
>
> The following expression answer [false]:
> ((Object _objectForOop: 789001985) class allSuperclasses at: 2) ==
> JadeServer
>
> The class JadeServer that can be browsed is different from the JadeServer
> hierarchy compiled from Dolphin.

The JadeServer that can be browsed in a GLASS image is a class that is
there to support GemTools logins (yes GemTools is still functional). It
was a copy of the JadeServer class that was available back in 2006/7.