[Glass] upgrade speed sanity check
pdebruic at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 12:36:26 PDT 2019
I'm trying to upgrade a 8 GB and 30GB stone from 3.3.1 to 3.5 on a mac first (while troubleshooting my upgrade process) then possibly on ubuntu 18.04 if need be. Both machines have NVMe SSD's with plenty of room and with plenty of RAM and CPU.
Right now the extent and tranlogs are both on the same device, in the default GsDevKit_home structure. On the mac I could move the tranlogs to an SDHC hard, and on the Ubuntu machine I could move them to a SATA drive.
While upgrading the 8GB stone I'm seeing speeds inline with the drives published specs of around 250-400MB/s i/o speeds on the Mac. And it has read 1.35TB of data and written 105GB of data in about 40 minutes.
Right now I assume things are fine and going smoothly but because it might be taking longer than it should I wanted to check:
1. Should it take more than 40 minutes to upgrade a 8GB stone?
2. Should the 30GB stone (that has different objects/code/etc) take ~4x as long?
3. Is there any way to tell ahead of time how long an upgrade will take?
4. Are there any optimizations or a pre-upgrade checklist I should look or go through at that isn't covered in the install guide?
5. Would moving the tranlogs to a separate disk prior to upgrading help substantially?
Thanks for any guidance you can provide
More information about the Glass