[Glass] Issue_260

Dale Henrichs dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com
Fri Mar 12 18:50:56 PST 2021

On Mar 12 2021, at 4:41 pm, Jupiter Jones <jupiter.jones at mail.com> wrote:
> Hi Dale,

> > ....SNIP

> > You are already on the issue_260 team[8] so we can take this conversation to discussion list[9] on github to work out any additional details ... off the top of my head I will need to get the following things done before you are cleared for take off:
> > port superdoit to work with 3.6.0
> >
> > last month I created the issue_260_2021 branch[10] where I intended to start setting up shop, so I just need to populate the branch with the artifacts needed to get started (basically the scripts from issue_260 branch[11] updated to reflect the new setup ...
> > extra credit for updating GsDevKit_home install scripts with new mac installation scripts ... this would be a good candidate for you to do as a first task while you wait for me to get things in order
> >

> When you say “new mac installation scripts” do you mean updating the GsDevKit/bin shell scripts to support the M1? Is there a version of GS that will run on the M1 yet?

No I'm referring to your comment in the "Darwin Downloads > 3.5.2" mail
> I noticed that after version 3.5.2, the Darwin downloads are in .dmg format so are not working with GsDevKit
I haven't done development on a Mac for several years now, so I didn't relaize that the changes for Darwin were that dramatic, but I'm assuming that there is a programmatic (read `bash shell`) what to install a .dmg file ... if there is a programmatic way to install a .dmg file then the $GS_HOME/bin/downloadGemStone could be modified unpack the .dmg file in the right spot ... if it has to be done manually, then at a minimum the instructions for unpacking manually could be posted to the stdout ...

> I have a new MacMini M1, and an intel laptop which is still running OSX10.14 so it can run 32bit Pharo.
> > The GsDevKit_launcher project is embedded in the issue_260 branch[12] ($GS_HOME/shared/repos/GsDevKit_launcher). This project was intended to be the place where the GsDevKit_home support classes were ported from Pharo ... in the st_launcher model the tonel class script files would be housed there as well ... so I would plan on porting the st_launcher scripts to superdoit scripts ... in doing this work myself, I'd know that superdoit was ready for use …
> >

> I’ve been attempting to set this up today, but encountered a couple of errors during install.

The current code in the GsDevKit_launcher needs to be looked at by me ... I think ... I expect that it will change a fair amount with the use of superDoit instead of st_launcher ...

> One simple error was resolved (no pull request yet) on https://github.com/JupiterSmalltalk/GsDevKit_home/tree/issue_260_JJ_MacOS
>
> The next one I haven’t investigated yet (just saw it before replying to this email). I’ve attached the stack at the end of this email. Let me know if this is worth pursuing, or if I should leave it and start work with your new extent.
Leave the rest to me, since much of the installation will be changing quite a bit ... Rowan has changed in the last year or so and superdoit makes things quite a bit simpler ...
BTW, I looked at the error stack, and I'll guess that the FileSystem code used by Rowan might not be up-to-snuff ... I'll make a point of checking that out on our development macs before I release things to you ...

SNIP
> I’ve been browsing these this morning to work out what I’d start one. Was going to start with something simple like “stones” to get my template right. But will wait now to make superdoit versions instead.

Yes I think that is a good first choice ... it was what I was planning on doing a month ago, but along the way I got sidetracked by switching gears towards superdoit :)

> Let me know how you’d like me to proceed.
Will do... Im motivated to get you up to speed as quickly as possible before you run out of time :)
I really appreciate you stepping up to the task ...