[Glass] GsDevKit_stones - additional remarks

Dale Henrichs dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com
Fri Jul 12 09:17:09 PDT 2024

Marten,

While this is not a direct answer to your question ... I use snapshot.solo
in combination with newExtent.solo to do "backup and restore" ... but then
I don't restore from tranlogs in my use cases ... with that said I agree
that full backup/restore functionality needs to be supported ...

runtime environment for Monticello stones

I don't know what process you followed with _home, but if you created
stones using the createStone script (and no "special" options), then tODE
was installed in your stone ... so if you use the loadTode.stone[1]  script
after createStone.solo, your stone should be equivalent to one started with
createStone in _home...

While not ideal it is also possible (use a tODE stone) to take an .mcz
file, export it as a filetree repository and use vi to edit the source
code. Then you can create a new version of an .mcz file from the filetree
repository ... Not ideal, but functional in a pinch ...

I can supply details for this as well ... I know that I owe you
instructions to programmatically generate Rowan definitions and will try to
kill both birds with one stone ... when I carve out the time :)

upgrade monticello based stones to GsDevKit_stones stones

I am not exactly sure what you think the difference between a  "monticello"
stone and a "GsDevKit_stone" stone is ...

If you provide me with a GsDevKit_home script that you use to create a
"monticello" stone, then I will be able to provide you with a script to do
the same thing in GsDevKit_stones and explicitly identify any missing
functionality in GsDevKit_stones, if there are any holes outside of a
restore from backup script and an upgradeStone script which are already
know to be missing ...

Dale

[1] https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_stones/blob/v2.1/bin/loadTode.stone

On Thu, Jul 11, 2024 at 11:11 PM Marten Feldtmann via Glass <