[Glass] GsDevKit_stones - additional remarks

Marten Feldtmann m at feldtmann.online
Thu Jul 11 23:11:06 PDT 2024

Ok,

my situation has changed now. The current Linux distribution I use
(based on Ubuntu 22.04) is not able to execute the pharo executable
stable in the i386 architecture. So I decided to go a different way:

-> install a virtual image running pure Ubuntu 22.04 LTS server for
creating stones, updating stones (because of Monticello)

-> make a backup

-> install the stones under GsDevKit_stones and use GsDevKit_stones for
runtime support only

but this is quite not as easy as it might be. GsDevKit_stones allows you
to make a backup, but I have not found a restore :-(

Here are some questions:

- how do I make a restore from a full backup under GsDevKit_stones ?

- without tode defined some scripts are not running. Is there still tode
running around ?

- is there something like the stones utility ?

- is there a way to upgrade a monticello based stones to GsDevKit_stones

and a suggestion:

prepare GsDevKit_Stones in the first stage as a runtime environment for
Monticello stones (Rowan is not there and GsDevKit_home is on its
sunset) and offer the following services:

- backup, restore, start, stop (suitable for all stones)

- environment for writing linux services scripts

Going this way, one could at least have a transition in the installed
databases to switch from _home to _stones.