[Glass] Connection failed from Jade to GemStone 3.7.1

patrik at finworks.biz patrik at finworks.biz
Thu Oct 10 05:53:11 PDT 2024

Hi Norm,

A pleasure to hear from you.  I have opened issue @github, which I have
mentioned in the first message.

The most important point is that I have figured it out by reading
James's Jade source code.  The issue was in the incorrectly specified
NetLDI Task name, which should have been `gemnetobject` (for anyone
struggling with it in the future).

I did not receive any email from mailing list so I'm trying just to
write to the mailing list with the identical topic.

I'm rather confused what is supported and production ready IDE by
GemTalk and what is not.  I had checked the GemTalk System's
repositories @github prior writing to the mailing list.  I projects
like Jadeite (fork of Jade), JadeiteForPharo, Sparkle and
PharoGemStoneFFI.

- I have checked the Jadeite's repository -
https://github.com/GemTalk/Jadeite.  It does not seem to be maintained
anymore as the last commit was 6 years ago and release about more than
1 year ago.  I thought to myself, maybe the development moved to Jade
again so I was asking question about Jade.

- Next I have checked JadeiteForPharo -
https://github.com/GemTalk/JadeiteForPharo which is active and only for
Pharo 12. Is that a spin-off from Jadite?

- There is then Sparkle - https://github.com/GemTalk/Sparkle; with
separate GemStone GCI Pharo FFI library - PharoGemStoneFFI
(https://github.com/GemTalk/PharoGemStoneFFI), which needs GemStone
client libraries for 3.6.x or 3.7.0.

I guess the question now changes to what solution is/are maintained and
considered production ready by GemTalk?

Best regards,

Patrik