[Glass] Connection failed from Jade to GemStone 3.7.1

Norm Green norm.green at gemtalksystems.com
Thu Oct 10 07:07:33 PDT 2024

Hi Patrik,

GemStone supports GemBuilder for Smalltalk for both VisualWorks (Cincom)
and VisualAge (Instantiations). The vast majority of our production
customers are using one of those.

Each requires a separate license from those vendors.

On the open source side (not officially supported by GemTalk) we have:

-Sparkle -- Debugger/inspector, but does not browse code, requires
GemStone 3.7.0 or later

-gt4GemStone -- More or less same limitations as Sparkle

-Jadeite for Pharo -- Only works with Rowan**, requires GS 3.7.1 or later

-Jadeite for Dolphin -- Only works with Rowan**

-Jade -- Requires Windows

For an immediate open source solution, use Jade on Windows VMs. Windows
VMs are indeed inconvenient, but this solution works today and is well
supported by James Foster.

In the future there will be additional options.

Norm

**Rowan is a new project/package manager for Smalltalk that supports
FileTree and Tonel repositories. It is a work in progress. See:
https://github.com/GemTalk/Rowan