[Glass] Problem with UTF8 encoding and Monticello after GLASS update

Dale Henrichs dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com
Tue Aug 26 03:06:20 PDT 2014

Mariano,

After a couple of hours of sleep, I have realized a couple of things that I
should have mentioned earlier:

  - GLASS 1.0-beta.9.3 is a prerequisite to loading GLASS1.
  - 1.0-beta.9.3 loads the MetacelloPreview "in a single step" and replaces
the explicit (and ugly)
     multi-step MetacelloPreview load sequence
  - once the #stable version of MetacelloPreview is loaded projects may
directly depend upon GLASS1
    and it should become unnecessary to explicitly load GLASS1 as a
prerequisite for loading another
    project

The READMEs for both the Metacello[1] and GLASS1[2] projects are currently
out-of-date and need to be updated.

The following script should be equivalent to upgrading to GLASS1.0-beta9.3:

"Load the Preview version of Metacello from GitHub"

  | previewLoaded |
  previewLoaded := false.
  Smalltalk
    at: #'BaselineOfMetacello'
    ifPresent: [ :ignored |
      Smalltalk
        at: #'MetacelloProjectRegistration'
        ifPresent: [ :cls |
          (cls registrationForClassNamed: 'BaselineOfMetacello' ifAbsent: [
 ])
            ifNotNil: [ :registration | previewLoaded := registration
loadedInImage ] ] ].
  previewLoaded
    ifTrue: [
      (Smalltalk at: #'Metacello') new
        configuration: 'MetacelloPreview';
        version: #'stable';
        repository: 'github://dalehenrich/metacello-work:configuration';
        get ]
    ifFalse: [
      "Bootstrap Metacello Preview, using mcz files (#'previewBootstrap'
symbolic version"
      Gofer new
        gemsource: 'metacello';
        package: 'ConfigurationOfMetacello';
        load.
      GsDeployer
        deploy: [
          ((Smalltalk at: #'ConfigurationOfMetacello') project
            version: #'previewBootstrap') load ] ].
  GsDeployer
    deploy: [
      "load the Metacello Preview"
      (Smalltalk at: #'Metacello') new
        configuration: 'MetacelloPreview';
        version: #'stable';
        repository: 'github://dalehenrich/metacello-work:configuration';
        load ]

I've tested this script on a virgin 3.1.0.5 extent and it loads cleanly ...
then a GLASS1 load using the following script:

GsDeployer deploy: [Metacello new
  baseline: 'GLASS1';
  repository: 'github://glassdb/glass:master/repository';
  onConflict: [ :ex | ex allow ];
  onWarning: [ :ex |
        Transcript
          cr;
          show: ex description.
        ex resume ];
  load: 'default'.]

also loads cleanly so with luck we should be out of the woods.

I'm still not quite sure what state your image is in,so if you still have
trouble loading GLASS1 then I'll probably need to need the detailed package
info to try to reproduce the problems myself ...

I'm sorry that I was so dense earlier ... I really shouldn't have tried to
answer any emails given how jet-lagged I was ....

Dale

[1] https://github.com/dalehenrich/metacello-work#install-preview-version
[2] https://github.com/glassdb/glass#installation