[Glass] Problem with UTF8 encoding and Monticello after GLASS update

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 07:55:03 PDT 2014

On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 7:06 AM, Dale Henrichs <
dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com> wrote:

> Mariano,
>
> After a couple of hours of sleep, I have realized a couple of things that
> I should have mentioned earlier:
>
>   - GLASS 1.0-beta.9.3 is a prerequisite to loading GLASS1.
>   - 1.0-beta.9.3 loads the MetacelloPreview "in a single step" and
> replaces the explicit (and ugly)
>      multi-step MetacelloPreview load sequence
>   - once the #stable version of MetacelloPreview is loaded projects may
> directly depend upon GLASS1
>     and it should become unnecessary to explicitly load GLASS1 as a
> prerequisite for loading another
>     project
>
> The READMEs for both the Metacello[1] and GLASS1[2] projects are currently
> out-of-date and need to be updated.

OK, thanks Dale for taking care. I answer below.

> The following script should be equivalent to upgrading to GLASS1.0-beta9.3:
>
> "Load the Preview version of Metacello from GitHub"
>
>   | previewLoaded |
>   previewLoaded := false.
>   Smalltalk
>     at: #'BaselineOfMetacello'
>     ifPresent: [ :ignored |
>       Smalltalk
>         at: #'MetacelloProjectRegistration'
>         ifPresent: [ :cls |
>           (cls registrationForClassNamed: 'BaselineOfMetacello' ifAbsent:
> [  ])
>             ifNotNil: [ :registration | previewLoaded := registration
> loadedInImage ] ] ].
>   previewLoaded
>     ifTrue: [
>       (Smalltalk at: #'Metacello') new
>         configuration: 'MetacelloPreview';
>         version: #'stable';
>         repository: 'github://dalehenrich/metacello-work:configuration';
>         get ]
>     ifFalse: [
>       "Bootstrap Metacello Preview, using mcz files (#'previewBootstrap'
> symbolic version"
>       Gofer new
>         gemsource: 'metacello';
>         package: 'ConfigurationOfMetacello';
>         load.
>       GsDeployer
>         deploy: [
>           ((Smalltalk at: #'ConfigurationOfMetacello') project
>             version: #'previewBootstrap') load ] ].
>   GsDeployer
>     deploy: [
>       "load the Metacello Preview"
>       (Smalltalk at: #'Metacello') new
>         configuration: 'MetacelloPreview';
>         version: #'stable';
>         repository: 'github://dalehenrich/metacello-work:configuration';
>         load ]
>
> I've tested this script on a virgin 3.1.0.5 extent and it loads cleanly
> ... then a GLASS1 load using the following script:
>
> GsDeployer deploy: [Metacello new
>   baseline: 'GLASS1';
>   repository: 'github://glassdb/glass:master/repository';
>   onConflict: [ :ex | ex allow ];
>   onWarning: [ :ex |
>         Transcript
>           cr;
>           show: ex description.
>         ex resume ];
>   load: 'default'.]
>
> also loads cleanly so with luck we should be out of the woods.

OK, executing that I do get things updated and I can load my code. So it
seems this fixes my problem. Now...from what I understand above, I am

For my stones, I don't want to rely on that. I want to load an explicit
version of glass so that I know and control what do I load.
So..for the moment, it's fine, the above script is OK.

But then, what I would appreciate the most, is an updated
https://github.com/glassdb/glass#installation
>From what I understood from your words, using the script from that page but
simply changing to GLASS 1.0-beta.9.3  would not have the same case as the
lines provided above.

In fact, maybe tomorrow I re-run the lines provided above, and I may get
GLASS 1.0-beta.9.4. And I don't want that. I want a script to load GLASS
1.0-beta.9.XXXX plus + Metacello + GLASS1.  :)

> I'm still not quite sure what state your image is in,so if you still have
> trouble loading GLASS1 then I'll probably need to need the detailed package
> info to try to reproduce the problems myself ...
>
> I'm sorry that I was so dense earlier ... I really shouldn't have tried to
> answer any emails given how jet-lagged I was ....

Np and thanks for answering. I was also very frustrated because I was not
able to update my code and everything I tried ended up in another problem.