[Glass] Some 'minor' things

Richard Sargent via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Mon Dec 1 08:51:59 PST 2014

GLASS mailing list wrote
> Ciao,
>
> 	i found some 'minor' things and i don't know as management ( report to
> the list ? ).
>
> 	I report in this e-mail for understand how to behave.
>
> 	1)  10 at 5  *2    	answer 	20 at 10
>
> 		but 		2* ( 10 at 5 )  		answer 	 a MessageNotUnderstood occurred (error
> 2010), a Point does not understand  #'_generality'
>

> 	2) The class 		Time 		don't implementer  the method :   asDate
>
> 					asDate
>
> 						^ Date today
>

> 	3) The class 		Integer  		don't implementer  the method: printStringHex
>

> 					printStringHex
> 					 "returns the hex digit part of the integer when printed in
> hexadecimal format. 30 printStringHex '1E' 30 hex '16r1E' "
>
> 					 ^self printStringBase: 16
>

> 	4) Gemstone don't implement a Timespan 	subclass	 Date   as into  Pharo
>
> 		 Instances of Date are Timespans with duration of 1 day.
>
> 		I don't find any equivalent class into Gemstone.
>

> 	Thanks for any considerations.
>

> 		Dario

Hi Dario,

I think Time>>#asDate is just plain wrong. In the first case, it is not a
conversion operation such as you get when you ask an object for its string
representation or the converse. But worse, I don't think a Time should have
a concept of which Date it is. Consider how silly Dollar>>#asPocket would
be.

Rather than add this construct to GLASS, I would advocate removing it from
Pharo.