[Glass] Should I be worried about symbols lookup performance?

Dale Henrichs via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Fri Apr 3 09:56:38 PDT 2015

> On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 1:48 PM, Dale Henrichs
> <dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com
> <mailto:dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com>> wrote:
>
>     Mariano,
>
>     I think the reason that we've disabled it by default is that we
>     don't like to surprise legacy applications ... changing behavior
>     is always dicey business ... ...a few of our customers have
>     expressed a desire to be able to gc symbols so they are motivated
>     to enable it ... the ones that haven't expressed an interest
>     either don't care or are dependent upon the current behavior:)
>

> OK. Maybe it would be nice to add something to avoid this. Imagine I
> know in average I do not release much symbols, yet, I wan't to have
> the app down (GC time) as less as possible.  So say I want to GC
> symbols only once a week while I do run MFC daily.
>
> Is there a way I can trigger the GC of symbols without having to do:
>
> 1) Stop stone
> 2) Modify system.conf to set STN_SYMBOL_GC_ENABLED=TRUE
> 3) Start stone
> 4) do all GC stuff... the markForCollection seems to be needed to done
> TWICE to really free the symbols (this is explained in the docs)
> 5) STN_SYMBOL_GC_ENABLED=FALSE
>
> ?
>  I don;t want to be changing configuration files.
Yes, STN_SYMBOL_GC_ENABLED[1] can be changed at
runtime[2]....DataCurator has GarbageCollection privileges so you can
make the change pretty easily from Smalltalk...if you want ...

Unless you find that you need to clean up symbols right now, you could
let nature take it's course and if you are only gcing symbols once a
week, you can probably afford to wait a week for the symbol gc to be
finalized ...

Dale

[1]
http://downloads.gemtalksystems.com/docs/GemStone64/3.2.x/GS64-SysAdmin-3.2/A-ConfigOptions.htm#pgfId-493777