[Glass] Development Environment tode or jade

Richard Sargent via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Wed Apr 15 11:20:05 PDT 2015

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 10:42 AM, BrunoBB via Glass <

> Hi All,
>
> I'm developing an application with Jade (a Dolphin Smalltalk client), so i
> develop directly on GemStone.
>
> Since the creation of tode i was asking to my self if i should switch to
> tode instead of using jade.
> (i installed tode just to play and not going too deep with it)

I know Dale is very close to pushing out a major enhancement to tODE. He
has been working on the documentation, which is usually the hardest part,
as we all know. You probably want to wait for that.

> I have a couple of basic question:
> * Do you use Pharo as development environment ? (like some kind of
> gembuilder (without replicates))
>    (you develop on Pharo and after you finish load packages into Gemstone)

tODE uses Pharo to provide the GUI. Virtually everything tODE presents is
the server state. It's browsers show you the server code. Its debugger
shows you the server processes. etc.

> * After you finish the development phase do you test in Pharo or in
> GemStone
> ? (may be both ?)

This question is irrelevant, now.

> * When you find a bug in Production (GemStone) you made the change there
> and
> then put the change on Pharo ? How do you proceed ?

This question is irrelevant, now.

* How do you handle:
>    - System performOnServer: (GS methdod)
>    - Rc (reduce conflict) classes ?

"handle" is rather vague. Can you elaborate your concern?

This last point is important i use "System performOnServer:" plus a MySQL
> client to query a Database, i know Pharo has some DB package but is not
> available in GemStone, how do you handle these kind of cases ?

For this, you may need something that Dale is about to publish.