[Glass] Development Environment tode or jade

Dale Henrichs via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Wed Apr 15 11:41:33 PDT 2015

On 04/15/2015 10:42 AM, BrunoBB via Glass wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm developing an application with Jade (a Dolphin Smalltalk client), so i
> develop directly on GemStone.
>
> Since the creation of tode i was asking to my self if i should switch to
> tode instead of using jade.
> (i installed tode just to play and not going too deep with it)
>
> I have a couple of basic question:
> * Do you use Pharo as development environment ? (like some kind of
> gembuilder (without replicates))
>     (you develop on Pharo and after you finish load packages into Gemstone)
In tODE, Pharo is used as a very thin client ... everything that you do
in tODE (including  creating custom windows and development tools) is
done on the server (GemStone) ...

> * After you finish the development phase do you test in Pharo or in GemStone
> ? (may be both ?)
Just test in GemStone and there are tools for running tests.

> * When you find a bug in Production (GemStone) you made the change there and
> then put the change on Pharo ? How do you proceed ?
You just fix in GemStone ...

 From these last two questions I am wondering if you are really asking
questions about the "develop in Pharo, deploy in GemStone" model... if
so then consider tODE as a the development environment that you would
use when working with GemStone ...

> * How do you handle:
>     - System performOnServer: (GS methdod)
>     - Rc (reduce conflict) classes ?
Okay, this really does look like you are asking about the "develop in
Pharo, deploy in GemStone" which isn't directly related to tODE ...

> This last point is important i use "System performOnServer:" plus a MySQL
> client to query a Database, i know Pharo has some DB package but is not
> available in GemStone, how do you handle these kind of cases ?
This last question is a slightly different question and Richard's
cryptic comments are aimed at something that I will "pre-announce" to
this list later today:) Some of Richard's "irrelevant now" comments may
be a bit optimistic (in the short term):).

If we consider that there are currently two development models:
   1. develop in GemStone, deploy in GemStone
   2. develop in Pharo, deploy in GemStone

The third model would be classified as "develop in Pharo, deploy in
Pharo and store data in GemStone" ...

You'll have to wait until after lunch and later today for more details:)