[Glass] GemTools Debug error: MessageNotUnderstood: ByteArray>>gsSubStrings2:

Dale Henrichs via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Tue Apr 28 09:32:37 PDT 2015

On 04/28/2015 09:26 AM, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> On 04/28/2015 09:07 AM, Dario Trussardi via Glass wrote:
>> Dale,
>>
>>> Now this one is because GemTools is getting confused by the fact
>>> that there are chinese(?) characters in the string ...
>>>
>>> Teaching GemTools to handle non 8-bit ascii strings could be
>>> challenging ... I don't know the state of utf8 support in PHaro1.1
>>> and I'm not sure if I can clean up the server-side code without a
>>> lot of work ...
>>>
>>> Now might be a good time to take tODE for a spin at least for
>>> debugging continuations:) ... tODE uses UTF8 to transfer data
>>> between the server and the client, so the particular issue you are
>>> running into doesn't exist in tODE.
>>>
>>> The object log viewing and management capabilities in tODE is
>>> superior to those in GemTools ...here's a sampling of the object log
>>> commands:
>>>
>>>   ol view error
>>>   ol view --inverse transcript
>>>   ol view --age=`1 day` -r transcript
>>>   ol clear debug error trace
>>>   ol clear --inverse transcript
>>>   ol clear --age=`1 month`
>>>
>>> Use `man ol` or `man ol view` etc. to see more details ...... For
>>> debugging continuations,  you would use the following command to
>>> list only the errors (and continuations) in the object log, then
>>> select the continuation you are interested in and use the `debug
>>> continuation` message.
>>
>> I can load tode client and i can view the object log.
>> After i can select a continuation but i don't understand how i can
>> working on it.
>>
>> What do you intend with:  `debug continuation` message.
>>

> Sorry, I meant `debug continuation` menu item ...

BTW, if you have trouble in tODE, the CMD-SHIFT-P menu item can be used
in any window to "print the window". Basically you get string version of
the window, so you can copy the contents of the window (whether it be a
debugger to get a "stack trace" or a navigation window to show object
state ) and paste that into a mail message to me ... with questions or
comments ... screen shots don't quite "give the whole picture", but the
"print window" gets all of the window entries whether or not they are
visible or not ...