[Glass] GC

Dale Henrichs via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Fri Jan 16 09:52:33 PST 2015

Hello Leo,

If I understand you are trying to reduce the amount of persistent
garbage that gets produced while running reports and right now, you are
looking at the possible dead as a measure and you are wondering if there
is a different/better way. Is that right?

If you take a look at the `SystemRepository fileSizeReport` before and
after a report is generated, you should be able to get an idea about how
much disk space is consumed when you run the report. Unfortunately this
is not an exact science since some of the persistent objects created
during report generation may not be flushed to disk yet ... Running
`System startCheckpointSync` and then `fileSizeReport` will probably
give you a better measure of the disk space consumed by the operation.

`fileSizeReport` produces a string, so if you want to get your hands on
the real numbers then take a look at the implementation of
`fileSizeReport` to see where the numbers come from...

Dale