[Glass] Updating seaside in glass throws github error 'GsDevKit/gsApplicationTools' -> 'API rate limit exceeded for....'

Dale Henrichs via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Mon Jun 8 15:37:05 PDT 2015

Mariano,

github rate limits requests (like those generated when doing tag pattern
matching) when using unauthenticated requests[1].

If you are not using the latest version of Metacello (on the master
branch), then you are not benefiting a recent bugfix[2] that reduces the
hit rate from a single vm.

Github counts the number of requests from an ip address, so multiple vms
or users doing builds from the same ip address can trigger the rate
limit ... the rate limit is an hourly rate and is 60 unauthenticated
requests per hour ... the limit is 5000 authenticate requests per hour.

You can arrange to use authenticated requests for the tag requests by
setting the username and password for your github account in the image:

    MCGitHubRepository
       siteUsername: 'github user name';
       sitePassword: 'github password'.

At the moment these are persistent values ... for GemStone I could make
these session temps if that would be more desirable ... Curl will also
use .netrc for getting usernames and passwords, but I would have to
enable that from within MCGitHubRepository and I'm willing to that for
folks if that's what they want ...

You can avoid hitting github completely if you clone the Seaside3
repository to your local disk and use a Metacello lock. This is actually
the preferred solution, since it bypasses all network access and you can
decide when and if you want to use a new Seaside release ... something
that I think you'd want to do for a production application .... You do
need to use the Scripting API when doing loads for the the locks to take
effect ...

If you need more information about using locks, perhaps Johan can share
his technique ... I've got pretty extensive support for this in the
upcoming tODE release as well ...

Dale

[1] https://developer.github.com/v3/rate_limit/
[2] https://github.com/dalehenrich/metacello-work/issues/332