[Glass] Early access update: PR #13

Jon Paynter via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Wed Nov 4 10:34:28 PST 2015

On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 9:48 AM, Dale Henrichs <
dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com> wrote:

> Sorry for taking so long to get back, but I've been buried in getting
> ready for my presentation next week ....
>
> No worries.  I was dealing with gemstone issues I DO understand - out of
tranlog space, shadow pages and GC.

> The stack you have supplied is indeed the stack that I would expect if a
> BaselineOf was "corrupted" --- i.e. a missing method ...
>
> Now the real problem occurred before this point .... so I will ask my
> original set of questions again:
>
> How do you think that BaselineOfRouteEvent ended up with no methods ...
> the `project new` command should have created the needed methods in the
> class ... if you used `project new` ...

My suspicion is one or more of the source methods are missing or out of
date due to me fat fingering something when running an update.  What is
your reccomendation on getting updates to GsDevKit_home?  pull daily? or
wait for you to post something on the list?

> If you did use `project new` you may find that the BaselineOfRouteEvent is
> dirty (there is an initial commit to the repo when you use `project new`.
>
> Either an error occurred earlier, or you had already started creating a
> BaselineOfRouteEvent, or ????

Actually I did... sortof .. Before the 'project new' cmd was released I
took your sample project made a copy on my server filesystem and renamed
everything trying to get a minimal working project.  And yes it was called
'RouteEent'
I was not able to get it working before you released the 'project new'
cmd.   But ive since removed my sample copy from the server file system and
removed the BaselineOfRotueEvent class.  But I suspect there were packages
created when I attempted to load my modified sample which I did not know to
remove, and they confused the project creation process.

> In the future when you get an error doing something with tODE, I really
> need to see that first stack ... I understand that your instincts as a
> developer say that you might have done something wrong or that it will work
> if you try again, but in this case (and very likely future cases) the stack
> from the original error will be critical to have ...
>
> So the best thing moving forward would be copy the stack and put it
> somewhere in case it is needed to diagnose the problem ...
>
> I know that tODE isn't perfect and I appreciate your efforts to help work
> out some of these issues...

Such is life with early access software.  Aside from the project issues, it
works nicely.

I let the "project new" issues sit and ive been working on some coding and
dataloading for my little project.  but as of today when I run "project
list"  I get a new walkback:
 aTDDebugger
--------------------
1. STONReaderError(AbstractException)>>_signalWith: @5 line 25
2. STONReaderError(AbstractException)>>signal: @3 line 7
3. STONReaderError class>>signal:streamPosition: @4 line 4
4. STON091Reader(STONReader)>>error: @4 line 6
5. [] in STON091Reader(STONReader)>>lookupClass: @4 line 10
6. Array(SequenceableCollection)>>detect:ifNone: @11 line 10
7. [] in STON091Reader(STONReader)>>lookupClass: @3 line 9
8. IdentityDictionary(AbstractDictionary)>>at:ifAbsentPut: @7 line 14
9. STON091Reader(STONReader)>>lookupClass: @4 line 6
10. STON091Reader(STONReader)>>parseClass @6 line 7
11. STON091Reader(STONReader)>>parseObject @2 line 3
12. STON091Reader(STONReader)>>parseValue @8 line 5
13. STON091Reader(STONReader)>>next @3 line 4
14. TodeSTON091Serializer(TodeObjectSerializer)>>fromString: @5 line 4
15. TodeSTON091Serializer>>fromString: @3 line 2
16. TDFileSystemLeafNode>>asTDLeafNode @4 line 2
17. TDFileSystemLeafNode class>>fileSystemLeafNodeProxy: @3 line 3
18. TDFileSystemLeafNode class>>fileSystemProxy: @2 line 4
19. TDFileSystemLeafNode class>>directoryEntry: @12 line 8
20. DirectoryEntry>>asTDFileSystemNode @5 line 6
21. [] in TDFileSystemDirectoryNode>>childrenDo: @2 line 4
22. Array(SequenceableCollection)>>collect: @9 line 16
23. TDFileSystemDirectoryNode>>childrenDo: @4 line 3
24. TDPathComposedDirectoryEntry>>childrenDo: @3 line 3
25. [] in
ExecBlock1(TDPathComposedProjectEntryNodeContents)>>childMapForComposition:
@2 line 7
26. OrderedCollection(Collection)>>do: @5 line 10
27. TDPathComposedProjectEntryNodeContents>>childMapForComposition: @6 line
5
28.
TDPathComposedProjectEntryNodeContents(TDPathComposedDirectoryNodeContents)>>composedChildrenDo:
@2 line 3
29.
TDComposedProjectEntryNode(TDComposedDirectoryNode)>>composedChildrenDo: @3
line 3
30. TDRawGatewayNode(TDGatewayNode)>>composedChildrenDo: @3 line 2
31. TDFileSystemLeafNode>>composedChildrenDo: @7 line 3
32. TDProxyLeafNode>>composedChildrenDo: @3 line 3
33. TDObjectGatewayNode(TDGatewayNode)>>composedChildrenDo: @3 line 2
34. TDMetacelloTool>>scanProjectDir:forProjects: @2 line 3
35. TDMetacelloTool>>scanForProjects: @5 line 3
36. TDMetacelloTool>>projectRegistrationDefinitionMap @9 line 8
37. TDMetacelloTool>>projectRegistrationDefinitionList @2 line 3
38. [] in TDMetacelloTool>>projectlist @2 line 13
39. TDMetacelloProjectBrowser>>clientList:listElement: @3 line 4
40. [] in TDMetacelloProjectBrowser(TDAbstractToolBuilder)>>clientListBlock
@2 line 2
41. TDMiniToolSpec>>clientList:listElement: @4 line 3
42. TDMiniToolClientListElementBuilder>>clientList: @3 line 2
43.
TDMiniToolClientListElementBuilder(TDClientListElementBuilder)>>firstList:
@2 line 2
44.
TDMiniToolClientListElementBuilder(TDClientListElementBuilder)>>buildClientElementUsing:editorAspect:
@19 line 15
45. [] in ExecBlock2(TDTopezServer)>>clientElementFor:using: @4 line 9
46. [] in TDTopezServer>>editorNodeFor:aspect:do: @8 line 9
47. [] in ExecBlock1(TDTopezServer)>>editorNodeClassNameFor:aspect:do: @5
line 10
48. TDTopezServer>>lookupClassNameFor:aspect:defaultAspect:in:do: @24 line
28
49. TDTopezServer>>editorNodeClassNameFor:aspect:do: @5 line 3
50. TDTopezServer>>editorNodeFor:aspect:do: @2 line 3
51. TDTopezServer>>clientElementFor:using: @3 line 4
52. TDTopezServer>>edit:using: @2 line 3
53. TDMetacelloProjectBrowser(Object)>>editUsing: @4 line 3
54. TDMetacelloProjectBrowser(TDAbstractToolBuilder)>>open @3 line 2
55. [] in TDMetacelloTool>>projectlist @8 line 35
56. Dictionary(AbstractDictionary)>>at:ifPresent:ifAbsent: @3 line 5
57. TDMetacelloTool>>projectlist @4 line 27
58. TDMetacelloTool class(TDAbstractDevTool
class)>>performSubCommand:objIn:commandOptions:todeCommand: @23 line 22
59. [] in TDMetacelloTool class>>project @2 line 5
60. TDMetacelloTool class(ExecBlock)>>cull:cull:cull:cull: @7 line 4
61. TDTopezServer>>evaluateCommand:objIn: @18 line 22
62. TDTopezServer>>evaluateSTONCommand: @9 line 6
63. Executed Code
64. GsNMethod class>>_gsReturnToC @1 line 1

Attempting to click on any stack frame with 'TDFileSystemLeaveNode' in its
description re-raises the same error.

At this point it looks to me like some lower level class has been messed up
somehow.  If I were working on a local Smalltalk image, at this point I
file-out/Save my code, throw away the image and create a new one.
If you think it will be useful to you to continue debugging this then lets
proceed.  Otherwise I will save my code, remove the GsDevKit folder and
re-run the installer.

Let me know how you want to proceed