[Glass] Early access update: PR #13

Dale Henrichs via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Wed Nov 4 12:53:21 PST 2015

On 11/04/2015 10:34 AM, Jon Paynter wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 9:48 AM, Dale Henrichs
> <dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com
> <mailto:dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com>> wrote:
>
>     Sorry for taking so long to get back, but I've been buried in
>     getting ready for my presentation next week ....
>
> No worries.  I was dealing with gemstone issues I DO understand - out
> of tranlog space, shadow pages and GC.
oh good ... I figured that I would get a ping for critical problems ...

>     The stack you have supplied is indeed the stack that I would
>     expect if a BaselineOf was "corrupted" --- i.e. a missing method ...
>
>     Now the real problem occurred before this point .... so I will ask
>     my original set of questions again:
>
>     How do you think that BaselineOfRouteEvent ended up with no
>     methods ... the `project new` command should have created the
>     needed methods in the class ... if you used `project new` ...
>
> My suspicion is one or more of the source methods are missing or out
> of date due to me fat fingering something when running an update.
> What is your reccomendation on getting updates to GsDevKit_home?  pull
> daily? or wait for you to post something on the list?
Pull when I post ... I do my development on separate branches for both
GsDevKit_home and tODE and I send out the email within an hour or
merging the changes for _home and tode into their respective master
branches ... so nothing (that you should use) is available unless you
see a post ...

>     If you did use `project new` you may find that the
>     BaselineOfRouteEvent is dirty (there is an initial commit to the
>     repo when you use `project new`.
>
>     Either an error occurred earlier, or you had already started
>     creating a BaselineOfRouteEvent, or ????
>
> Actually I did... sortof .. Before the 'project new' cmd was released
> I took your sample project made a copy on my server filesystem and
> renamed everything trying to get a minimal working project.  And yes
> it was called 'RouteEent'
> I was not able to get it working before you released the 'project new'
> cmd.   But ive since removed my sample copy from the server file
> system and removed the BaselineOfRotueEvent class.  But I suspect
> there were packages created when I attempted to load my modified
> sample which I did not know to remove, and they confused the project
> creation process.
Ah that makes perfect sense ... you can delete and unload packages using
the `mc` command:

   mc delete <package-name>
   mc unload <package-name>

`mc delete` removes the package but leaves any classes and methods in
the image.
`mc unload` removes the package and removes the classes and methods from
the image..

In your case you want to use `mc unload`.

`mc list routeevent` will bring up a browser on the packages in the
image whose name matches the given pattern and there are 'delete' and
'unload' menu items available (that perform the `mc` command for you) ...

>     In the future when you get an error doing something with tODE, I
>     really need to see that first stack ... I understand that your
>     instincts as a developer say that you might have done something
>     wrong or that it will work if you try again, but in this case (and
>     very likely future cases) the stack from the original error will
>     be critical to have ...
>
>     So the best thing moving forward would be copy the stack and put
>     it somewhere in case it is needed to diagnose the problem ...
>
>     I know that tODE isn't perfect and I appreciate your efforts to
>     help work out some of these issues...
>
> Such is life with early access software.  Aside from the project
> issues, it works nicely.
>
> I let the "project new" issues sit and ive been working on some coding
> and dataloading for my little project.  but as of today when I run
> "project list"  I get a new walkback:

This looks like the " a STONReaderError occurred (error 2710), Cannot
resolve class named #'TDObjectGatewayLeafNode" error that I mentioned in
the EA pull request #15[1] and I would like you to try running the
following bash shell command:

   $GS_HOME/bin/patches/patchIssue15 <stone-name>

and it should fix the problem ... if this doesn't run smoothly I'd like
to know --- I'm trying out this patching process that is needed form
time to time, when the normal process won't work and in this case, the
project entry ston files were changed out from under tODE ... moving
forward I don't anticipate making this sort of change, but given that
I've only got a few EA users, I thought it was worth making the change
now rather than later ....

[1] https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home/pull/15
>  aTDDebugger
> --------------------
> 1. STONReaderError(AbstractException)>>_signalWith: @5 line 25
> 2. STONReaderError(AbstractException)>>signal: @3 line 7
> 3. STONReaderError class>>signal:streamPosition: @4 line 4
> 4. STON091Reader(STONReader)>>error: @4 line 6
> 5. [] in STON091Reader(STONReader)>>lookupClass: @4 line 10
> 6. Array(SequenceableCollection)>>detect:ifNone: @11 line 10
> 7. [] in STON091Reader(STONReader)>>lookupClass: @3 line 9
> 8. IdentityDictionary(AbstractDictionary)>>at:ifAbsentPut: @7 line 14
> 9. STON091Reader(STONReader)>>lookupClass: @4 line 6
> 10. STON091Reader(STONReader)>>parseClass @6 line 7
> 11. STON091Reader(STONReader)>>parseObject @2 line 3
> 12. STON091Reader(STONReader)>>parseValue @8 line 5
> 13. STON091Reader(STONReader)>>next @3 line 4\
... snip
> 61. TDTopezServer>>evaluateCommand:objIn: @18 line 22
> 62. TDTopezServer>>evaluateSTONCommand: @9 line 6
> 63. Executed Code
> 64. GsNMethod class>>_gsReturnToC @1 line 1
>
> Attempting to click on any stack frame with 'TDFileSystemLeaveNode' in
> its description re-raises the same error.
>
> At this point it looks to me like some lower level class has been
> messed up somehow.  If I were working on a local Smalltalk image, at
> this point I file-out/Save my code, throw away the image and create a
> new one.
> If you think it will be useful to you to continue debugging this then
> lets proceed.  Otherwise I will save my code, remove the GsDevKit
> folder and re-run the installer.
>
> Let me know how you want to proceed

yeah in this case, running the following bash script should fix the problem:

   $GS_HOME/bin/patches/patchIssue15 <stone-name>

Thanks again,