[Glass] Gemstone framework for Pharo

Dale Henrichs via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Tue Nov 8 16:25:09 PST 2016

Dario, over the summer I started work on a framework called Tugrik[1]
and Voyage/Tugrik[2]. Tugrik stores objects in GemStone using an api
based on MongoTalk ... Voyage/Tugrik uses the Voyage persistence API for
storing objects and it is implemented using Tugrik ... For examples of
writing Pharo code using Voyage/Tugrik, see my presentation at this
years ESUG[3].

A couple of years ago I mentioned "server blocks" and they appear again
here as Voyage Server Blocks that allow you to write code in Pharo that
is "transparently executed" on the GemStone server ... objects are
serialized back and forth between Pharo and GemStone using STON ...

I haven't fully developed Voyage/Tugrik --- all of the unit tests are
passing --- because I am wondering if the voyage paradigm is the right
way to access GemStone from Pharo ... I am inclined to think that Voyage
Server Blocks are a better model which puts me at a crossroads: do I
follow the Voyage api and push development along those lines, or do I
pursue a pure Voyage Server Block API ...

I am hoping to "partner" with interested developers and let them drive
the direction of development ...

I think that Michal Balda is presenting his take on a Pharo/GemStone
framework at the Zurick Smalltalk meetup tonight[4] -- Michal saw my
talk at ESUG and I spent some time talking to Michal as well --- and
after playing with Voyage/Tugrik has an idea for a simpler framework and
I am very interested in seeing what he has come up with...

Dale

[1] https://github.com/dalehenrich/Tugrik

[2] https://github.com/dalehenrich/voyage

[3] http://www.slideshare.net/esug/tugrik-a-new-persistence-option-for-pharo