[Glass] Where should I put my own bash scripts in GsDevKit_home?

Dale Henrichs via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Wed Nov 9 13:35:22 PST 2016

On 11/9/16 1:35 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck via Glass wrote:

Dale,

I am wondering where it is supposed someone would store his own stone-wide
bash scripts. It looks to me the correct place MAY be
`$GS_HOME/sys/local/bin`. And that directory is associated to a git repo:
https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_sys_local.

So...it is nice to know I could manage all the GsDevKit_sys_local in my own
git fork. But...I have a couple of questions:

1) Say I add stuff (like some bash scripts) into  `$GS_HOME/sys/local/bin`.
For a moment imagine I do not commit this into my own git fork. So...what
would happen when I update gsDevKit_home? how can I be sure I won't loose
those files with a latest override from your git repo?

The update uses git pull, so barring any collisions your local uncommitted
scripts will be untouched ...

The original GsDevKit_sys_local[1] project simply provides a standard
directory structure for your scripts so there is no intention to ever put
any scripts or files in any of those directories, except the README.md file
(which is the placeholder to ensure that git will create the directory).

[1] https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_sys_local

2) Say I do want to commit all that directory into my own git fork. Where
in gsDevKit_home configuration  can I tell it which URL/branch should be
used for GsDevKit/GsDevKit_sys_local ?

Thanks in advance,