[Glass] FFI and C subsystems

James Foster James at JGFoster.net
Fri Oct 9 10:53:23 PDT 2020

Bruno,

My understanding is that the header parser follows all the #include directives, so will find everything that could be called from C code, including abs() in libc. But the process of calling a dynamic library at runtime involves doing a name lookup of entry points *for that library,* not for anything visible *to* the library, so libssh does not have an abs() entry point. For that you would need a reference to libc.

The wrapper generator does not know what is actually in the given library, just what functions are defined by all included header files. So you have to do some selection on your own. One wrapper API has a filter as an argument, and so for a library like GemStone C Interface where all the functions begin with ‘gci’ we can filter to only generate wrappers for those functions (it is unlikely that libc has gci*() functions!).

So, yes, you need to have a different library object for each library so the system can do name lookups properly.

James