[Glass] Connection failed from Jade to GemStone 3.7.1

Marten Feldtmann m at feldtmann.online
Thu Oct 10 08:13:01 PDT 2024

On 10.10.24 14:53, Patrik Svestka via Glass wrote:
> I'm rather confused what is supported and production ready IDE by
> GemTalk and what is not.  I had checked the GemTalk System's
> repositories @github prior writing to the mailing list.  I projects
> like Jadeite (fork of Jade), JadeiteForPharo, Sparkle and
> PharoGemStoneFFI.

Yes, the situation is a total mess - and these are the most friendly
words I can find for it. I honestly do not know, how to handle the
situation in the future with this wonderful database. A total needless
source code management change starting in 3.7.0, reinventing structures
known in ENVY for the last 30 years. Is this really needed ?

Looking into other environments I noticed how the infrastructure is
growing, but in this area the infrastructure is destroyed every few
years just to restart and make it better or worse. For me it seems, that
so many people are start working on an IDE for Gemstone/S, but they
never finished it. The only one is Jade, and I do not understand, why
GemtalkSystems is not simply jumping on that train.

Marten